I had one day off last week and asked hubby what kind of cake/snack/desserts he would like to have and he chose pandan custard tarts yetagain. I have made these before and shared the full recipe in here (click here to go to the related post).
This time, I am trying a new recipe where there is no egg needed for the pastry shells and whilst it resulted in different texture and slightly different taste to the previous one, they are not bad either. In fact, hubby said he prefers these ones! I think the texture is not as crumbly as the one made with egg; and the taste, even though it lacks the richness that you get from egg yolk, it pairs really well with the custard and make a lighter version of the original recipe. Hubby points out that these turned out with slightly more soggy base, which is his favourite bits. I am unsure whether this was caused by the egg-less pastry or because I didn’t pre-baked them before pouring the custard mixture.
Without further ado, here is the recipe:
500 grams of all-purpose flour
300 grams of cold butter, cut up in tiny pieces
2 tablespoons of castor sugar
10 – 12 tablespoons of ice water
- Combine the flour, butter, and sugar in a bowl. Mix with wooden spoon or pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly
- Add in the ice water few tablespoons each time while mixing them through the dough (stop once the dough is coming together)
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in a piece of cling wrap and store in the fridge while we make the custard filling
- Once we finish with the custard filling, take the dough out of fridge and it is ready to be rolled and mould into tart molds.
- Pour the custard filling up to 3/4 height of your tart shells
- Bake in preheated oven at 150C until the filling is set (not wiggle or use toothpick test), mine took around 40 minutes
- Only take them off the molds once they are cooled down ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
For Custard Filling:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
400 ml of water, slightly warm
8 egg yolks, lightly whisked
30 grams of custard flour
Vanilla essence (I used Pandan essence instead)
- Mix the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined
- Add in egg yolks and whisk to mix well
- Slowly add the custard flour and pandan essence, mix well, then our through a sieve
- Your custard filling is nowready (っ˘ڡ˘ς)