December is usually a month where most of us tend to indulge too much (in term of food), or at least I do! 😀 There are always a catch-up dinner, office functions, then all those festivities celebrations, it is just too hard to resist the temptations. But now that we are in the new year already, I truly think my body is in need of a simple green salad to cleanse out toxins from all the “naughty” eating and drinking.
These are the goodies that I put in my salad bowl:
- Butter lettuce, also known as butter head. This soft leaves lettuce have very subtle buttery sweet flavor and naturally low in calories/fat/sugar.
- Iceberg lettuce, these are great addition to salad for it has high water content and sodium then other lettuce families. It also gives a nice crisp texture to the salad, something different to the butter lettuce leaves.
- Green apple. We all know how apple is great fruit, loaded with dietary fibers and vitamins(especially vitamin C) thus the saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” 🙂 I used green apple in the salad for extra tangy, sweetness, and crunch.
- Cherry tomatoes. Apart from giving the bright red color in the green salad, they are also loaded with vitamin C and lycopene, an antioxidant that lowers your risk of certain diseases caused by cellular damage.
- Cucumber, which is a well-known for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer benefits. They are naturally low in calories, carbohydrates, sodium, fat and cholesterol. Because of their high water content, cucumbers can help supports hydration, especially during summer months.
- Avocado. Another food that is loaded with vitamins and minerals, also high “heart-healthy fat” content as well as dietary fibers. On top of that, avocado contains even higher level of potassium than bananas, which help to support healthy blood pressure level.
- Lemon juice and olive oil dressing. A very simple salad dressing that is not just tastes great, but also good for your body.
- Cracked black pepper to taste
And last but not least, a mug of green tea to wash it all down!